In April 1928, the first of the Junior series rolled of the assembly line at Stinson Aircraft Corporation's Detroit factory. The SM-2, designed by William Naylor, was the first of a long line of Juniors built by Stinson from 1928 to 1931. While designed for private use, many Juniors were used in air taxi service and the first models placed nationally in various flying contests. During the four-year period production period, the Junior underwent several modifications and design changes. From the SM-2 models, the Junior evolved into the SM-2AB, SM-2AC (seaplane), SM-7B, SM-8A and S models to name a few, utilizing powerplants as varied as a 100-hp Kinner to a 300-hp Pratt & Whitney Wasps.
In 1929, Stinson merged with the Lycoming Motor Company owned by Erret Lobban Cord. From that point, most of the Stinson aircraft, inclusing the SM-8A and S Juniors, utilized the R-680 radial engine. For the SM-8A and S series, the reliable R-680 proved to be a perfect match.
About 113 S Juniors were produced by Stinson in 1931. The aircraft on display is one of that series. Restored by Jim Younkin of Springdale, Ark., this aircraft was restored to the original factory specifications including the paint schemes.